Sunday, October 14, 2012

Elbow Grease

People come to Egypt and they marvel at the pyramids, at least 125 or so of them, scattered along the Nile Valley, and they wonder how they were built. Well, when they were built the Nile used to flood the whole valley necessitating many of the farmers living in the valley to move into the low desert around the temple and pyramid sites where they were basically stuck for about four months every year. With pretty much the entire population of Egypt looking for something to do for four months, the labor pool would have been pretty impressive. So they put their backs to it and moved rock.

We recently decided to drill a new 40 meter well on the farm. The actual drilling was done with the aid of a diesel motor that pulled up a weighted pipe into the air and then dropped in to pound it through sand, clay and layers of some of the hardest stone I've ever seen. And then when they were putting in the actual pipe, the well diggers and some of my staff took the handles to push the pipe in circles to disengage the digging pipe. Hard work, but they did it.

3 comments:

AareneX said...

I always look forward to your posts, not just because I learn stuff, but also because your sky is BLUE when my sky is NOT. Today, especially so.

Thanks. I needed that.

dorinalouise said...

that is impressive!

sometimes elbow grease is the best.

Top Engg Colleges In Punjab said...

Nice post. I used to be checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Very helpful info particularly the closing part :) I deal with such info much. I used to be looking for this particular info for a long time. Thank you and good luck.

Flickr Photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Miloflamingo. Make your own badge here.

Other City Daily Photo Blogs

CDPB Logo
Search by city:  
+ Africa
+ Asia & Pacific
+ Europe & Middle East
+ North America
+ South America

Come and Visit