Friday, June 1, 2007

Fantasy in Wood


This bridge from the Cairo corniche along the Nile to the island of Roda, also known as Manial Island is unusual in that it is made of wood. I don't know the history of the bridge other than the fact that it is simply called locally "the wooden bridge", since there aren't any other wooden bridges on the Nile. It provides a crossing to Manial near the Roda Nilometer. This is a stone structure that was built to measure the level of flooding on the Nile during the inundation. These days, the Nilometer is just an interesting artifact since the floods stopped in the 70's with the building of the Aswan High Dam

3 comments:

lv2scpbk said...

Nice photo and liked reading your information about it.

Z said...

I would like to see more photos of the bridge, if that's possible. I enjoy visiting Cairo and seeing it through your eyes.

Martel said...

it is surprising, beautiful photograph

This Weekend, I propose on my photo blog on Martel. Before and After.
And amusing, I start with Delfour-Couderc drapery, it was the house of the late arrears Grandparent of Olivier (DP Evry)
(A friend, it is him which me advises to make a blog)
My blog photographs on the town of Martel

Flickr Photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Miloflamingo. Make your own badge here.

Other City Daily Photo Blogs

CDPB Logo
Search by city:  
+ Africa
+ Asia & Pacific
+ Europe & Middle East
+ North America
+ South America

Come and Visit